Reading Time: 2 minutes
Rewriting title tags and meta descriptions is a pretty simple task for most SEOs, but it’s a very manual process that can eat into your time that may be better spent on other tasks. To help with the writing process, Dylan Jones built a Google Sheets script to have ChatGPT write your title tags and meta descriptions.
Just by entering your page information and a ChatGPT API, you’ll be able to write or rewrite your title tags and meta descriptions at scale so you only have to worry about editing.
You can access the tool at the bottom of this webpage, but don’t forget to read or watch the instructions first!
- Make a copy of the spreadsheet to so that you can make edits and add your own ChatGPT API
- Create a ChatGPT profile and find your API key
- Add your API key to the settings tab or in the script itself
- Use the custom formula =REWRITE() to start writing your title tags and meta descriptions!
- Cost: ChatGPT charges accounts by API token usage. With our tool, given a page using a 2-3 word Target Keyword, ~60 character Current Title Tag, ~165 character Current Meta Description, and ~800 words of Page Content, ChatGPT will charge ~$0.02 per 100 outputs.
- Possible inputs include Target Keyword, Current Title Tag, Current Meta Description, Page Content, and Temperature.
- Temperature is the metric that determines how close GPT follows the prompt. 0 is no deviation, 1 is a lot of creativity. It is defaulted to 0.3.
- To make edits or move your new title tags and meta descriptions, you’ll need to copy and paste as plain text so that they are no longer a part of the formula.
- You don’t need to use all of the possible text inputs (Target Keyword, Current Title Tag, Current Meta Description, & Page Content)! However, we would suggest using at least 2 to give ChatGPT enough information.
- Be sure to review and edit all outputs as needed. ChatGPT is good, but it’s not perfect.
- Outputs oftentimes go over the character count that we’re prompting it with (60 for Title Tags and 160 for Meta Descriptions).
Rewrite metadata for a client with ~200 pages.
We have a client with about 200 webpages with very generic title tags and meta descriptions. One of our top priorities is to rewrite all of it to help better target the pages and site overall, but this will usually take an AM a few days for keyword research, mapping, and manual writing of the new title tags and meta descriptions. So, how should the AM prioritize their time?
With this tool, they are now able to research, map, and rewrite all of those generic title tags and meta descriptions within a few hours while spending less than a dime. This frees up their time to focus on other high priority points in their strategy for the site.
We hope this tool helps other SEOs save some time and generate awesome results for your clients! If you have any questions or ideas on how to improve the tool for V2.0, shoot Dylan an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get the tool for free!
Join the Greenlane newsletter mailing list!
Totally not required, but we'd love to send you stuff from time to time. Get new tools, blog posts and more!
Get the tool! Click the button below to open the Google doc.ChatGPT Metadata Rewriter