Reading Time: 2 minutes
As a search engine junkie, I’m always pulling for the little guy with a unique idea. I love competition in the marketplace. Sadly, the dominance of Google (and others) forced many of these into the shadows.
But if you are curious like me, I present Greenlane’s active list of search engines:
- Baidu – The leading search engine in China.
- Boardreader – For forums and message boards.
- Brave – Private search engine.
- Openverse – For copyright-free content.
- ContactOut – A search engine for finding contacts with very accurate data.
- Disconnect – Search anonymously without the search engine tracking your searches.
- Dogpile – Metasearch engine.
- DuckDuckGo – Helps searchers protect their privacy.
- Ecosia – Plants trees around the world when you search through their service.
- Ekoru – Donates some of its revenue to partner charities.
- FindSounds – Search the web for sounds.
- Gigablast – Doesn’t track your data.
- Gibiru – Unfiltered private search.
- giveWater – Self-described social impact search engine.
- Infinity Search – This doesn’t save what users search for and doesn’t log information about visitors.
- LiveDeal – Converted to a local restaurant listing site.
- Local.com – Helps you find businesses and events in your city.
- Lukol – Completely anonymous search engine.
- MetaGer – Nonprofit organization that guarantees privacy.
- Million Short – Removes the top million most popular websites from search results.
- Neeva – Ad-free and affiliate-free search engine.
- OneSearch – Privacy search engine.
- Oscobo – Doesn’t use third-party scripts or tools.
- Pronto.com – Price comparison search engine.
- Qwant – Privacy search engine.
- Retrevo Converted to a search engine for product manuals.
- Search Encrypt – Uses local encryption to ensure you stay private.
- SearchMe – Visual search engine.
- Shodan – Lets you search for various types of servers, including webcams and routers.
- SlideShare – Search engine for documented slideshow presentations.
- StartPage – Private search engine that serves answers from Google.
- Swisscows – Doesn’t store personal data, IP addresses, or search queries.
- The Wayback Machine – Search old versions of web pages.
- TinEye – Reverse image search.
- Wiki.com – Search thousands of wikis.
- WolframAlpha – Compute answers to problems.
- Yandex – Popular search engine in Russia.
- ZABASEARCH – People and public information search engine.
- zapmeta – Searches simultaneously through multiple sources.